Welcome to my blog and my first blog post. I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes as my first post on the blog. I have been a vegetarian, well you could say I’m more of an Ovo- pescatarian (I eat eggs and fish occasionally), for over 12 years and I absolutely love to find creative ways to eat vegetables.
A year ago, as a was searching the internet, I stumbled upon the Inspiralized website. I was in heaven. Ali has an incredible gift of creating amazing dishes with the Spiralizer. I was hooked and ordered my Paderno Spiralizer and away I went at creating my first dish.
Well, this dish quickly became a favorite of mine and the Spiralizer became my most treasured kitchen gadget. I love this dish because it is full of flavor, hearty, aromatic and high on the nutrition scale. Sweet potatoes pack a walloping dose of vitamins A, C and manganese and can help to improve the regulation of blood sugar.
Kale and Swiss Chard also offer high levels of vitamin K, A and C. The sweet potato, kale, Swiss chard, onions and garlic are packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients and just a squeeze of lemon helps to further enhance these properties.
So enjoy knowing that your body is truly benefiting from this flavorful and nutrient dense meal. This dish can easily pair with meat or enjoyed without meat on meatless days or as vegan meal. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
So let’s begin our meal.
Start by peeling garlic and cut lengthwise. Peel and cut onions into quarters and pull apart to separate its layers. Place garlic and onions in an oven safe dish for roasting. Season with salt, pepper and drizzle with a tablespoon of Avocado oil.
Add swiss chard, kale and roasted onions and garlic.
Add 3 tablespoons vegetable stock, squeeze 1/2 lemon over the greens.
Cover and let steam (do not stir at this point). This gives the sweet potato time to cook while the veggies steam. Leave covered and steam for 10-12 mins on low.
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes with skin- organic if possible
- 2 cups Kale- chopped
- 2 cups Swiss Chard- chopped
- 6 cloves of Garlic
- 3 medium Onions
- ½ Lemon
- 1 Tbsp Avocado oil- can sub Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable broth- can sub bullion cube stock, water or chicken stock
- Salt - as needed
- Pepper- as needed
- Peel garlic and cut lengthwise.
- Peel and cut onions into quarters and pull apart to separate its layers.
- Place garlic and onions in an oven safe dish for roasting. Season with salt, pepper and drizzle with a tablespoon of Avocado oil.
- Coat the onions and garlic with oil.
- Roast in oven at 425 degrees for 25 mins until golden brown.
- Spiralize the sweet potatoes
- In a large heated pan add 2 tablespoons coconut oil sauté sweet potatoes for 2 minutes to coat with oil.
- Add swiss chard, kale and roasted onions and garlic.
- Add 3 tablespoons vegetable stock, squeeze ½ lemon over the greens.
- Cover and let steam (do not stir at this point). This gives the sweet potato time to cook while the veggies steam. Leave covered and steam for 10-12 mins on low.
- Remove cover and gently toss greens and sweet potatoes together.
- The sweet potatoes will be al dente and the kale and Swiss chard will be steamed to perfection.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!!!
This meal can easily be paired with a meat or fish.
The oil can be substituted for your favorite oil of choice
What is your favorite dish to make with sweet potatoes?