Salmon croquettes are so versatile. They are easy to prepare and can be eaten for lunch, brunch or dinner.
Croquettes is the term used for any meat or fish that is rolled into a ball, covered with a batter and or breadcrumbs and fried.
My healthy version of salmon croquettes eliminates the frying and is instead baked. Baking helps to eliminate the use of excess fats from oil that is needed for frying. It also reduces the mess and clean up that is often caused by frying.
The use of a small potato eliminates breadcrumbs in the mixture thus making the croquettes gluten – free. The egg is used as a binding agent.
To make the croquettes, start by peeling, cubing and boiling the potatoes. When tender remove from heat, cool, mash and set aside. In a separate bowl beat/ whisk one egg and set aside.
Prepare the salmon by opening and draining juices from the can. In a large mixing bowl add the drained salmon, use a fork or your hands to flake the salmon into small pieces. Add the apple cider vinegar, mashed potato, chopped onions, leeks, red pepper and garlic to the salmon mixture. Add the beaten egg to the mixture followed by the herbs, spices and seasonings. You can use your hands or a spatula to fold the mixture together until it is combined and mixed well.
Just a side note. The sazon used in this recipe is a homemade sazon mix which eliminates the MSG found in store bought packages.
Using a 1/4 cup of the mixture, drop the mixture into your hands and gently form the croquettes by keeping the 1/4 cup mold intact.
You can also roll the mixture into a ball or flatten it if you prefer. Continue this method until all the mixture is finished. Place the croquettes on a prepared baking tray or dish and bake at 400°F for 25 min, turning the croquettes half way through cooking to brown the other side.
The results are these delicious and flavorful croquettes. Enjoy them for lunch with a side salad or for dinner with vegetables, quinoa, brown rice or potatoes.
The possibilities are endless. Don’t be afraid to experiment, after all cooking is about having fun in the kitchen.
What is your favorite way to enjoy salmon croquettes?
- 1 can Salmon- BPA Free
- 1 Egg- whisked/ beaten
- 2 cloves Garlic- chopped
- 1 small Potato- cubed & cooked
- 1 small Leek- chopped
- 1 small Red pepper- cubed
- 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp Sazon
- ½ tsp Organic no salt seasoning
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Rosemary
- ½ tsp Thyme
- Salt & pepper- to taste
- Peel, cube and boil potatoes
- When tender remove from heat, cool and mash
- Set aside
- Beat 1 egg
- Set aside
- Open and drain juices from can
- In a large mixing bowl add the drained salmon
- Using a fork flake the salmon into small pieces
- Add apple cider vinegar
- Add mashed potato
- Add chopped onion, leek, red pepper and garlic to the salmon mixture
- Add beaten egg
- Add herbs, spices and seasonings
- Using your hands or a spatula fold the mixture together until it is combined and mixed well
- Using a ¼ cup of the mixture- drop the mixture into your hands and gently form croquettes using the ¼ cup mold
- Continue this method until all the mixture is finished
- Place croquettes on a prepared baking tray or dish
- Bake at 400°F for 25 mins
- Turn croquettes half way through cooking to brown the other side
- Plate & enjoy