Let me start by saying that I’m not a breakfast person. I can easily do a smoothie, some overnight oats or herbal tea with a protein bar if I’m in a rush or on the go, however sitting down to have eggs, pancakes, waffles, you know a traditional breakfast, is just not me. I just can’t seem to tolerate so much food early in the morning, but I admire those of you who can.
So brunch time is breakfast for me and this amazing overnight soaked oats with tropical nice cream is right up my alley for brunch. The oats are perfect from soaking overnight and the flavors of the raisins, cranberries, blueberries and cacao nibs blend so nicely together. Topped with the tropical nice cream these oats are heaven in a cup.
I must warn you that these overnight oats are a tad bit on the sweet side, but not overly sweet. This is due to the blueberries that have been reduced in balsamic vinegar and agave.
If you are watching your sugar intake you may want to skip this step or maybe eliminate the use of a sweetener or just add fresh blueberries instead.
Let us start by making the blueberry balsamic reduction. In a stainless steel pot add water, blueberries, agave and balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Once bubbles form, reduce to a simmer.
Simmer for 20- 30 mins. You will want to watch this step carefully and stir frequently to prevent burning. As the mixture reduces, it gets thicker and will tend to become stickier and it is very easy to burn at that point.
Allow some time for cooling the reduction prior to adding to the overnight oats.
To prepare the overnight oats you will start by adding the oats, raisins, cranberries and cacao nibs to a glass container. When cooled top with the blueberry balsamic reduction.
Next you will add the almond milk, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Ideally the fruits for the nice cream should be frozen for several hours until frozen. I prefer to freeze them overnight as it ensures that all the fruit is completely frozen.
Once the fruits are frozen place them in a food processor or high-speed blender and blend until the frozen fruits are the texture of soft serve ice cream.
Now that your nice cream is ready let us put this together. Remove the overnight oats from the refrigerator and divided equally into two bowls or glasses, top with nice cream and additional fruit as desired. Here I used some peaches but you can use any of your favorite fruits. Enjoy!!
- 1 cup frozen Blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp Agave
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup rolled Oats
- 3 tbsp dried Cranberries
- 3 tbsp Golden raisins
- 1 tsp Cacao nibs
- 1¼ cup Vanilla almond milk
- ½ ripe Mango- cubed and frozen
- 3 slices of Pineapple- cubed and frozen
- 1 Banana- sliced and frozen
- In a stainless steel pot add water, blueberries, agave and balsamic vinegar
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer
- Simmer for 20- 30 mins (watch carefully and stir frequently to prevent burning as mixture reduces)
- Allow time to cool before adding to the overnight oats
- In a glass container add oats, raisins, cranberries, cacao nibs
- When cooled top with the blueberry balsamic reduction
- Add the almond milk and refrigerate overnight
- Fruits must be frozen at least overnight prior to making nice cream
- Place the frozen fruit in a food processor or high-speed blender
- Blend until the frozen fruits are the texture of soft serve ice cream
- The following day: remove the overnight oat from the refrigerator
- Make the tropical nice cream
- Separate the overnight oats into two bowls or glasses
- Top with nice cream and additional fruit as desired
The stated cook time is for the blueberry balsamic reduction
What is your favorite way to make overnight oats? Feel free to share in the comments below.