Today, I’m sharing a recipe for mustard greens pesto. I’ve mentioned before that I love pesto so I often experiment with different greens or herbs or a combination of both. I don’t eat a lot of cheese so most of the time I leave cheese out of the recipes.
This recipe uses mustard greens with the addition of walnuts and Parmesan cheese. The combination was awesome. You can use it to dress up some pasta or add it to sauces, soups or stews and it is a great way to use up any extra mustard greens you may have on hand. It is also a great way to sneak some additional vegetables into your diet.
The preparation is simple. Just place all the ingredients into a large food processor, season with salt and pepper to taste and start the processor.
Next drizzle in the oil so that it combines well together. Once it reaches a smooth texture or its at your desired consistency, stop the processor. You can do a final taste test to see if its seasoned to your liking. If its good to go, then pour into a serving bowl. Use the reserved oil to drizzle on top of the finished pesto.
It serves well alongside a vegetable platter, on a salad, in sandwiches, on some crusty bread… ahh the list goes on and on, but you get the picture 🙂 It can save well for about a week in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Hope you give it a try. Enjoy!
- 2 cups mustard greens
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon - squeezed
- Sea salt - to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 2 tbsp avocado oil - reserve 1 tablespoon
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor
- Reserve 1 tbsp of avocado oil to drizzle in while blending
- Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed
- When pesto is smooth and creamy, place in a bowl and drizzle with remaining avocado oil.