Happy Monday! It’s officially 3 days before Thanksgiving and if you are looking for a last-minute idea to add to your planned menu, look no further.
This stuffed acorn squash with quinoa, greens and red peppers celebrates the fall season, and is perfect for a Thanksgiving dinner.
Acorn squash on its own is quite healthy and offers an excellent nutrition profile. When combined with fresh beet greens, swiss chard and quinoa, well, that simply takes this dish up several notches on the nutrition scale.
It is a complete vegan meal that is not only healthy and nutritious, but delicious, savory and satisfying. Your vegan and vegetarian guests will be happy that you included something special on your dinner menu for them. ?
Wash and chop the beet greens and swiss chard and set aside. Chop the onions, peppers and garlic and set them aside.
In a heated medium-sized pan, add garlic and onions and saute until tender and fragrant.
Add the chopped red peppers and saute for 1 – 2 minutes or until tender.
Next, add the cooked quinoa and saute for 2 – 3 minutes or until heated.
Add the chopped greens and seasonings. Toss together and saute on med – high heat for 1 – 2 minutes or until the greens are wilted.
Dress with the reserved lemon juice and remove from heat.
Once the acorn squash has been baked, cooled and safe to handle, use a spoon to fill the cavity of the acorn squash with the quinoa and greens filling. Continue until all the halves are stuffed.
Garnish with chopped green onions (scallions) and serve. Enjoy!!!
- 2 acorn squash washed and halved
- ½ cup quinoa- cooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 cup chopped beet greens
- 1½ cups chopped Swiss chard
- 1 lemon - squeezed (juice reserved)
- 1 teaspoon organic no salt seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Bake acorn squash and set aside
- Cook quinoa and set aside
- Wash and chop beet greens & swiss chard and set aside
- Chop onions, peppers and garlic and set aside
- In a heated medium-sized pan, add garlic and onions and saute until tender
- Add peppers and saute for 1 - 2 min or until tender
- Add cooked quinoa and saute for 2 - 3 min or until heated
- Add the chopped greens and seasonings
- Toss together and saute on med - high heat for 1 - 2 min or until the greens are wilted
- Dress with the reserved lemon and remove from heat
- Once the acorn squash has been baked, cooled and safe to handle
- Using a spoon, fill the cavity of the acorn squash with the quinoa and greens filling
- Continue until all the halves are stuffed
- Garnish with chopped green onions (scallions)
- Serve and enjoy!!!
While squash is baking, prepare the quinoa to save time.
Quinoa usually cooks in 15 to 20 mins and will be finished before the squash.