Happy Monday!!! Like many of you, I’m always looking for healthy and creative meals that I can enjoy without too much guilt. I also try to include as many fruits and vegetables in my daily meal plans as possible. This spaghetti squash with lentils and mushroom pasta sauce does just that. You almost get the feeling that you’re enjoying pasta, but without the extra carbs and its also gluten-free.
Spaghetti squash is unique in comparison to the other winter squashes, because when cooked the flesh pulls away in a strand-like manner. The long stands resembles that of cooked spaghetti, hence its name.
Spaghetti squash has a somewhat crunchy texture and is very mild in flavor. When paired with a great pasta sauce, or even with a simple saute of butter and garlic, the flavor profile is dramatically enhanced. Spaghetti squash is very versatile and can easily be substituted for pasta in most dishes.
This winter squash offers so many great nutritional benefits. It is very low in saturated fats, calories and cholesterol and it is also low on the glycemic index. It is high in vitamin A and is a great source of fiber, vitamin C, B6 and manganese.
So let’s get cooking. For this recipe, you will want to cook your spaghetti squash and lentils and set them aside for later use.
Wash and chop mushrooms, peppers and shallot and set aside. I used a can of whole peeled tomatoes with sauce (low sodium), however if you have fresh whole tomatoes on hand, you can certainly use them.
In a heated large saucepan add oil. Add the garlic and shallots and cook until fragrant and tender.
Next add the mushrooms and cook for 3 to 4 mins or until tender. Add chopped bell peppers and cook for 1-2 mins.
Add the lentils and whole tomatoes and cook for 3-4 mins. Add pasta sauce, liquid aminos, seasonings and stir to combine. Cook on low heat for an additional 10 mins or until pasta sauce is hot. Top the spaghetti squash with the mushroom and lentil pasta sauce and serve.
You can top the dish with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for a completely vegan meal or with your favorite cheese for a vegetarian meal. Enjoy!
- 1 small spaghetti squash - cooked and flesh removed
- 1 cup uncooked lentils- picked, washed and cooked
- 1 small shallot- chopped
- 1 8 oz package of mushrooms - chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped ( I only had orange pepper on hand )
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 14.5 oz whole peeled tomatoes with sauce
- 1 32 oz bottle pasta sauce of your choice or homemade pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp liquid aminos
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic powder
- ½ tsp organic no salt seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper- to taste
- In a large heated saucepan add 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Add garlic and shallots. Cook until fragrant and tender
- Add mushrooms and cook for 3 to 4 mins
- Add chopped bell pepper and cook for 1-2 mins
- Add lentils and whole tomatoes and cook for 3-4 mins
- Add pasta sauce and seasonings and stir to combine
- Cook on low heat for an additional 10 mins or until pasta sauce is heated.
Any leftover squash can be refrigerated and stored in an air tight container for later use
If taking this meal on the go, store the pasta sauce and spaghetti squash in separate containers until its ready to be used.