Happy Monday to you all!. It’s so nice to enjoy a hearty soup especially on these cold winter days. This hearty potato pumpkin soup makes use of seasonal produce and fits in nicely if you are in need of a Meatless Monday recipe.
I enjoy cooking and experimenting with spices as they bring so much flavor, and even enhance the flavors of the main ingredients in a dish. The turmeric, ginger and paprika spices in this dish, add warmth, a hint of spiciness, depth of flavor and color to this dish along with their added health benefits.
I already had some cooked pumpkin on hand from a previous recipe, which made the preparation of this soup easier.
If you don’t have cooked pumpkin on hand, you can use fresh pumpkin and chop it into cubes and place it in the soup with the potatoes.
It will soften during the cooking process. You can also use previously frozen cooked pumpkin as another option.
Start by chopping the onions, garlic and tomatoes and set aside.
Wash and scrub the potatoes, cut into cubes and set aside. You can remove the skins if you choose. These were organic potatoes so I left the skins on.
In a heated pot add oil. Next add the garlic and onion and saute on medium high heat until tender and fragrant.
Add the potatoes and stir together with the garlic and onions for 2 to 3 minutes to give the potatoes a little color.
Now, add the cooked pumpkin, chopped tomatoes, water and seasonings to the pot. Stir and cover. In all of my soup recipes, I use water, however if you use a broth (which you certainly can use), you may need to adjust your seasonings accordingly.
Cook on medium – low heat for 40 minutes or until potatoes are cooked and tender. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Tip: I usually make extra and when it cools, I place it in individual airtight containers and place them in the freezer. They are great on days when you don’t feel like cooking or need a quick meal.
Serve and enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 1 medium tomato - chopped
- 10 small potatoes - washed and cut in cubes
- 2 cups cooked pumpkin
- 6 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon organic no salt seasonings
- 1 sprig of rosemary (optional)
- Sea salt - to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- In a heated pot add oil. Add garlic and onion and saute on medium high until tender and fragrant.
- Add potatoes and stir together with the garlic and onions for 2 to 3 minutes
- Add cooked pumpkin, tomatoes, water and seasonings
- Stir and cover
- Cook on medium - low temperature for 40 minutes or until potatoes are cooked and tender
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed
Potatoes will naturally thicken the soup, however if you want a thicker soup, reduce the water amount by ½ cup.
Tip: You can make extra soup and store in individual containers in the freezer. Just thaw and warm up and you have an easy, quick meal.