There are so many delicious ways to enjoy curry. Curry is a combination of spices that can be used to flavor just about any dish you can think of creating. Today, in keeping with the Meatless Monday theme, I’m using it in a vegan dish prepared with carrots, chickpeas and spinach.
This curried carrots, chickpeas and spinach meal is warm, hearty and full of flavor. It pairs well with the aromatic jeera rice that brings a taste of Indian cuisine to your table.
Jerra is also more popularly known as cumin seeds. When ground into a powder or toasted, they release their amazing aroma which is so tantalizing to the senses. It also lends its awesome flavor to grains, stews and more.
This curry is not very spicy, it is actually very mild for my personal taste. I prefer it hot and spicy, however my mom is unable to tolerate spicy foods so I had to tone the heat down a bit. If you like your curry hot and spicy, you can feel free to add additional heat to this dish or to my homemade curry recipe for a more spicy flavor.
So lets start this meal by preparing the rice.
You will want to watch this step carefully so that they do not burn. If they burn, you will need to start over as cumin seeds become bitter when burned.
Add the rice and stir together to combine the rice and cumin seeds. Add water, stir and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Cook for 30 mins or until done.
Remove the rice from the heat and fluff with a fork. Cover for 5 mins before serving.
Measure the curry powder and set aside. You can use your favorite brand of curry powder or you can try my homemade curry powder.
In a heated saucepan, add oil and temper the curry powder. This is done by adding curry powder or curry spices to hot oil and frying until its fragrance/ aroma is released from the seeds and the powder. You will need to monitor this step or it can easily burn.
Add the garlic, onions, ginger and cook until tender. Frequently turn this mixture to prevent burning and sticking on the bottom of the pan.
Add carrots and stir to coat with the curry mixture. Cook for 2-3 mins before adding the coconut milk and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
When carrots are soft, add chickpeas and cook for 2-3 mins.
Add spinach and cook for and additional 2-3 mins or until spinach is wilted.
Remove from the heat and add the juice of ½ lemon and stir.
Complete the meal by serving with Jerra rice. This curry can also be served with naan bread or roti.
- 1½ cups Brown rice
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 cups fresh Chopped Spinach
- 1½ cups Chickpeas or 1 can chickpeas- drained
- 3 medium organic Carrots- cubed
- 4 cloves Garlic- chopped
- 1 medium Onion-diced
- 1½ inch Ginger- Julienne
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 cups Coconut milk
- ½ cup water or broth
- Heat a medium saucepan and add oil
- Add cumin seeds and fry until they begin to pop- do not burn
- Add rice and stir together to combine rice and cumin seeds
- Add water, stir, bring to a boil
- Cover and reduce heat
- Cook for 30 mins
- Remove from heat, fluff rice with a fork and cover for 5 mins before serving
- Heat a large saucepan. When heated add coconut oil
- Add curry powder and fry until aroma is released- do not burn
- Add garlic, onions, ginger and cook until tender- frequently turn to prevent burning
- Add carrots and chickpeas and stir to coat with curry mixture
- Add coconut milk and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Stir and cover. Cook for 25 mins or until tender
- Add chickpeas and spinach. Cook for and additional 4-5 mins or until spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat
- Add the juice from ½ lemon
- Stir and serve