Happy Monday!!! I hope everyone enjoyed Father’s day yesterday and the official first day of summer with loved ones, surrounded by good food and conversation.
In the spirit of Meatless Mondays, every Monday I will feature a recipe specifically geared towards this theme. The recipe will be meatless, dairy-free and vegan. It is my way of showing support for a movement that is very close to heart.
I also believe that taking one day out of the week to enjoy a meatless meal as a family can ultimately make a healthier you and a healthier planet one step at a time.
Do you need weeknight meals or a meatless Monday meal that is simple and easy to prepare after a long day? Well today’s recipe is quick and easy especially if it is prepared at least a day before.
The barley can certainly be prepared on Sunday while preparing your meal, cooled and stored in a refrigerator safe container for the following day. By doing so, the recipe will take you approximately 15 mins to cook plus 5 min prep time. A total of 20 mins to throw together a quick, healthy meal for you and your family. How awesome is that?
So lets prepare today’s recipe. You will start by adding water or broth to a medium- sized saucepan and add the pearled barley. If using water you can add a vegetable bouillon (I usually use Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base), stir and cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 45 mins.
Once the barley is cooked, allow time for cooling prior to stir frying. You will want to have at least 35 min available for cooling or this step can be cooked in advance so it is ready for you to just throw together quickly.
Now for the stir fry. The stir fry process moves quickly and uses high heat. This means you will also need to work quickly.
You will want to have all your ingredients prepared and ready to use prior to starting, or you will have burnt food. You certainly don’t want burnt food after taking time to prep your meal.
Prepare and chop the onions and garlic and set aside. Prepare mixed vegetables and set aside. Measure seasonings and set aside.
In a heated wok or large pan, add oil. I use coconut or avocado oil as they can stand up to high heat temperatures. When oil is heated, add onions and garlic and saute until tender. Add the mixed vegetables and stir fry for 3-4 min.
Next add the cooked barley, dried cranberries and seasonings.
You will want to stir fry for at least 3-4 min to heat and mix all the ingredients together using quick, continuous movements to prevent the barley from sticking at the bottom of the pan.
Remove from heat and serve immediately. Any leftovers can be cooled and stored in a refrigerator safe container for 1 to 2 days.
This cranberry vegetable barley stir fry is not only quick and easy, but savory with a hint of sweetness from the dried cranberries, which plump up nicely during the cooking process.
The barley brings a chewy, nutty texture and flavor to the mix which together makes for a wholesome, satisfying, nutrient dense meal that is perfect for a Meatless day or a quick weeknight meal.
What is your favorite way to enjoy barley? Please feel free to share in the comments below.
- 1 cup pearled Barley
- 2½ cups organic Mixed vegetables
- ⅓ cup cranberries dried
- 1 medium Onion- chopped/ cubed
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 cups Water or broth
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Organic vegetable bouillon (optional)
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Organic no salt seasoning
- Salt & pepper- to taste
- In a medium- sized saucepan add water or broth. Add pearled barley. If using water you can add vegetable bouillon, stir and cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 45 mins.
- Allow time to cool before stir frying- approx 35 min or can be cooked 1 day in advance.
- Prepare and chop the onions and garlic and set aside.
- Prepare mixed vegetables and set aside.
- Measure seasonings and set aside.
- In a heated wok or large pan, add oil. When oil is heated, add onions and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add mixed vegetables and stir fry for 3-4 min
- Next add the cooked barley, dried cranberries and seasonings
- Stir fry quickly and continuously to prevent sticking for 2- 3 min
- Remove from heat
- Serve immediately or it can be cooled and refrigerated for 1 to 2 days in a sealed container.