Today, I’m sharing a Meatless Monday recipe for my Kale, Swiss Chard and Kidney Bean Soup. It’s been so cold and snowy here recently that soup seems like the perfect fit for this weather.
I’ve been making lots of soup, almost every other day because it’s so fast, heart warming, hearty and nutritious. What’s not to love about it.
Once my soup is simmering it gives me an extra 40 minutes to an hour, depending on the type of soup of course, to do something with the spare time. Most times, I take the opportunity to workout at home, write a post or prep a meal.
This soup has a light broth, however, it is packed with the wholesome goodness of swiss chard, kale and kidney beans together with just a squeeze of lemon juice to bring out the all the awesome flavors of the soup.
Just one bowl packs a nutritional punch, warms you up and hopefully helps you forget, for a few minutes at least, about the cold and swirling snow outside. 🙂
So lets start preparing our soup.
We start by chopping and dicing the onions and garlic and setting them aside. Next dice the tomatoes and carrots and set them aside. Carefully wash and chop the swiss chard and kale and set them aside.
Measure out the seasoning mixture and set it aside, so that once you’ve added your vegetables to the pot, you are not hunting around for the seasonings and spices.
In a heated pot, add the onions, garlic, tomatoes and carrots and saute on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes while turning occasionally. Next add the kale, swiss chard and beans and stir together.
Add the water or broth and seasoning mixture. Stir together well and cover. Allow the soup mixture to come up to a boil. Reduce your heat to a simmer (medium- low) and cook for 40 minutes. Taste and adjust your seasonings as needed.
Remove from heat, add the reserved lemon juice to the soup and give it a stir. Serve in your favorite soup bowl and enjoy!
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 tomato - diced
- 1 medium carrot - chopped
- 1 table spoon avocado oil
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups chopped swiss chard
- 1 can kidney beans - drained and rinsed
- 7 cups water (you can also use low salt or homemade vegetable broth)
- ½ lemon juice- reserved
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon organic no salt seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon or a pinch nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- Sea salt- to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- In a heated pot, add onions, garlic, tomatoes and carrots. Saute on high for 3 to 4 minutes while turning occasionally.
- Add kale, swiss chard and beans and stir together.
- Add water or broth and seasoning. Stir together well and allow the soup mixture to come up to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer (medium- low) and cook for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the reserved lemon juice.
- Serve and enjoy!