When you have extra vegetables that need to be used before they pass their prime what do you do? You get creative. Well this recipe came about in such a manner and I had just enough to make this herb roasted cauliflower and zucchini side dish that went perfectly with my main meal.
The use of various herbs and spices in this dish really kicked it up just a notch as it enhanced the flavors of the cauliflower and zucchini instead of just salt and pepper. I mean there’s nothing wrong with just salt and pepper, but there is a whole world of flavor out there. I realize that most people are unable to tolerate herbs and spices, but if you can why not indulge. Herbs and spices can add so much depth, flavor and warmth to any dish.
I encourage you to get creative and experiment with various herbs and spices so that you can have an idea of what you like versus what you don’t. As a bonus herbs and spices also have various health benefits, so why not reap some of those benefits while enticing your taste buds with something new and different. 🙂
So let’s start this dish. You will want to start by first pre-heating your oven to 450°. There’s nothing worse than prepping your dish for the oven only to realize, DRATS!!! I forgot to turn on the oven. I know, I’ve done it. Next, start cutting the cauliflower into quarters and then cut into them into florets so that they are easier to roast. Set them aside. Next wash and cut the zucchini lengthwise and then cut into cubes and set aside.
In a medium-sized baking dish, I used a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish, you add the cauliflower florets and the cubed zucchini. Sprinkle the seasonings on the vegetables and drizzle with avocado oil and apple cider vinegar.
When complete place your baking dish in the oven at 450° for 15 mins. At the 15 min mark, remove the vegetables from the oven and give them a quick toss. Place the dish back in the oven for an additional 2-3 mins.
During the cooking process, you will want to keep an eye on your vegetables as temperatures can vary from oven to oven. You certainly won’t want burnt vegetables and herbs.
You can serve as a side dish or make extra for a main dish. This dish is vegan but it can easily be adapted and enjoyed based on your personal dietary needs.
- 1 large Zucchini - cut and cubed
- ½ head of Cauliflower - quartered & cut into florets
- ½ tsp dried Tarragon
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried Rosemary
- ½ tsp dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp dried Thyme
- Salt & pepper - to taste
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil - drizzled
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider vinegar
- Cut cauliflower into quarters and cut into florets- set aside
- Wash and cut zucchini lengthwise and cut into cubes- set aside
- In a medium-sized baking dish ( I used 9 x 13), add the cauliflower florets and the cubed zucchini
- Add the seasonings, drizzle with avocado oil and apple cider vinegar
- Using your hands rub the herbs, spices, oil and vinegar into the cauliflower and zucchini
- Place in oven at 450° for 15 mins
- Remove from oven and give a quick toss and put back in the oven for an additional 2-3 mins
- Serve and enjoy
What are your favorite ways to enjoy cauliflower and zucchini/ courgettes?