Happy Monday everyone!!! As the end of summer quickly approaches and in an attempt to savor these final days of summer, I present today’s meatless Monday dish, a grilled apricot summer salad with a balsamic vinaigrette.
The apricots are tender and the grilling helps to really bring out their sweetness. I don’t often indulge in dairy but there is just something about goat cheese, apricots and walnuts in a salad. Yum.
Walnuts are delicious and so good for you. They not only add an amazing crunch to your salads but they also contain heart healthy monounsaturated fats. They are also a healthy source of omega-3 fatty acids and are equally high in copper and manganese.
These awesome heart healthy walnuts also offer various antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits so why not give them a try on your next salad.
This beautiful summer salad combines a blend of mesclun and green leaf lettuces as the base. The radishes and cucumbers adds that crisp refreshing bite, while the grilled apricots and cranberries add just a hint of sweetness to the salad.
The grilled poblano peppers gives just a hint of heat but not much; while the walnuts and the delicate flavor of the goat cheese truly tops off this dish.
The simple balsamic vinaigrette pulls the flavors of this salad together for a cohesive combination of taste and texture. I hope you give it try.
Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.
- 6 apricots - seed removed and grilled
- 1 poblano pepper - grilled with oil, salt and pepper
- ½ head green leaf lettuce
- ½ head mesclun lettuce
- 6 small radishes - sliced and halved
- 1 medium cucumber - cubed
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp goat cheese ( if desired)
- 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and dry vegetables and fruits and set aside
- Grill seeded apricots and poblano pepper and set aside
- Cut lettuce into bite sized pieces
- Slice radishes and cut in half ( if desired)
- Cut cucumbers into cubes
- In a large bowl add the chopped vegetables
- Cut the grilled apricots and poblano pepper in bite sized pieces and add to salad
- Top the salad with goat cheese and walnuts if desired
- Add the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a salad dressing shaker or in a medium-sized bowl
- Vigorously shake or whisk together briskly to blend the ingredients together
- Pour over salad or leave separate for individual servings
Extra toppings may include but certainly not limited to beans, quinoa, dried fruit and nuts.
Preparation time includes grilling with a preheated grill.