Today’s recipe features farro as the star ingredient in this easy and fast vegetable stir fry. If the farro is made ahead of time it cuts down your kitchen and cooking time leaving you free to tend to other matters.
In yesterday’s blog, I shared the awesome health benefits of this ancient grain and a recipe on how to prepare it. Farro is great because it can used as a replacement for rice or cooked in a similar manner to risotto.
You will find it to be a hearty, nutty grain that has a soft but chewy texture. This farro vegetable stir fry is quick and simple and can be easily thrown together and added to your arsenal of weeknight meals.
You will start by preparing the farro according to the package instructions or you can revisit my farro recipe which gives directions on how to prepare. You can also prepare the farro ahead of time either on the same day or the day before so that it is ready for you to toss into the stir fry.
If you are making it on the same day for the recipe then allow some time to cool prior to adding it to the stir fry. While the farro is cooking you can begin preparing the vegetables.
The mixed vegetables can be made fresh or you can use an organic frozen blend as I did for this recipe. Fresh vegetables are always great but it will take some extra time to prep them. Frozen vegetables are convenient when you are pressed for time and need to throw a quick but healthy meal together. Once the mixed vegetables are prepared set them aside.
Wash the collard greens leaves to remove any sand or dirt. Next remove the stem and chop into bite sized pieces and set aside. Clean and chop the mushrooms, garlic and onion and set aside.
Once the farro has been cooked and cooled or removed from the refrigerator if pre- cooked, you will start by heating a large wok or pan and adding the avocado oil. When hot but not smoking , add the onions and garlic and stir fry for 1-2 mins or until tender and fragrant.
Next add the mushrooms and mixed vegetables and stir fry for 2-3 mins. You want them to be cooked but firm.Add the cooked farro and seasonings and stir fry for 1-3 mins. Finally add the collard greens and juice of ½ lemon and stir fry for an additional 1-2 mins or until collard greens wilt. Remove from the heat. Serve and enjoy. I would love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to drop me a line in the comments below.
- 2½ cups cooked Farro
- 2 cups organic Mixed vegetables
- 3 large Collard Greens leaves- washed & chopped
- 4 large Mushrooms- chopped
- 1 small Onion- chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic
- ½ Lemon
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil
- 1 tbsp Organic no salt seasoning
- Salt & pepper- to taste
- Prepare farro- set aside
- Prepare mixed vegetables- frozen or fresh - set aside
- Wash the collard greens leaves, remove the stem and chop- set aside
- Chop mushrooms and set aside
- Chop onion & garlic - set aside
- Heat a large wok or pan and add avocado oil
- Add onions & garlic - stir fry for 1-2 mins or until tender and fragrant
- Add mushrooms and mixed vegetables - stir fry for 2-3 mins
- Add cooked farro and seasonings- stir fry for 1-2 mins
- Add collard greens and juice of ½ lemon and stir fry for an additional 1-2 mins or until collard greens wilt
- Remove from heat
- Serve and enjoy