Hello everyone and a Happy Cinco de Mayo to you. In celebration of Cinco de Mayo I made a vegan/ vegetarian dish of yellow rice and beans. This is a great dish that can be served on its own, with a side or paired with poultry, meat or fish.
First, I must share this amazing recipe for a Sazón seasoning mix from Skinnytaste.com that I now use for cooking and seasoning meats and fish. I stopped using my favorite Sazon mix when I found that one of the ingredients was MSG. MSG gives me headaches and mild heart palpitations which for me is not a fun experience.
I was so happy to find this seasoning blend. It is so easy to mix together or make a batch and store in an air tight container for later use. You can use seeds or powders to make the mixture. I usually use a blend of both.
I pulse the seeds to a powder and then mix with my powder ingredients. I also didn’t have Annato on hand so I substituted Turmeric powder instead. Now for the Yellow Rice and Beans recipe.
- 1½ cups Brown Rice
- 3 cups Water
- ½ cup Black olives- chopped
- ½ tsp Coconut oil
- 1½ tsp Sazon (1 packet of Sazon)
- 1½ cups Pinto Beans (1 can of Pinto beans)
- 1 small Onion- chopped
- 3 med Plum Tomatoes- cubed
- 1 small Red Bell Pepper- cubed
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 3 tbsp Water
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1½ tsp Sazon Mix
- In a heated saucepan add ½ tsp coconut oil
- Add brown rice, olives and sazon mix
- Stir fry to allow sazon to coat the rice
- Add 3 cups of water, cover and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and cook on low for 25 mins
- In a large pan, saute onions and garlic until tender
- Add tomatoes, red peppers, water and balsamic vinegar and sazon mix- simmer for 20 mins
- Add beans and cook an additional 5 mins
- Plate and serve