Hellooooo and welcome 2016!!! This is my first post on the first Monday of the New Year. I know many of us have new year resolutions to eat more healthy, balanced meals and maybe include more plant based meals in our weekly repertoire. This chopped brussels sprouts with quinoa salad recipe fits the bill on both accounts, its a healthy, nutritious plant based meal and it fits well as a Meatless Monday option.
Brussels sprouts are such an amazing vegetable. It is a cruciferous vegetable that is very similar to broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or kale. Cruciferous vegetables are known to be an excellent source of vitamin A, folic acid, vitamin C and fiber. Brussels sprouts are very similar in taste to lets say cabbage or broccoli and they can be enjoyed cooked or in its raw state.
In this particular salad the brussels sprouts are raw. When combined with the warm quinoa and the salad dressing the brussels sprouts tends to wilt and soften just a bit for a great taste and texture. This healthy salad is also easy to prepare and travels well for an on- the- go lunch meal.
You start by carefully washing the brussels sprouts under running water to remove any dirt, debris or little insects that maybe hiding in the leaves. Then with a sharp knife thinly slice each brussels sprout. You can also use a mandolin, just be careful with your fingers.
You may also be able to use a food processor with the shredding blade in place. I have not tried it, so if you have and it works let me know in the comments below. If you can find them in the supermarket already sliced, then go for it.
In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped brussels sprouts, quinoa, golden raisins, sliced almonds, walnuts and goat cheese. The goat cheese is optional for this recipe. It adds a creamy texture to the recipe but it certainly is not a necessary ingredient. Pour on your desired amount of dressing and toss together well with the salad.
This salad can be enjoyed immediately or let it sit for at least an hour to help the flavors develop and marinate. It can store in the refrigerator for a day or two. I can’t attest to any longer storage times as it doesn’t last very long at my house. 🙂
- 1 bag Brussels sprouts- washed and chopped
- ½ cup seasoned quinoa - cooked and cooled
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ⅓ cup goat cheese (optional)
- 6 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 2 tbs freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp crumbed dry basil
- ¼ tsp dry red pepper
- pinch of dry oregano
- Freshy ground black pepper - to taste
- Sea salt - to taste
- In a large bowl, add the chopped brussels sprouts, quinoa, raisins, almonds, walnuts and goat cheese (optional)
- Combine all the listed ingredients and shake, whisk or blend well
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt - to taste
- Add the salad dressing to the salad and toss to coat
- Serve immediately and enjoy